Search This Blog

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Arabic Numbers

Arabic numbers are different than ours.  Numbers 1-10, along with their names, are listed below.

Arabic Numbers

My keyboard at work is in Arabic and English.  The same is true for the numbers - they're in Arabic and English, too.

Remember that you read Arabic from right to left, so when numbers are translated/transcribed, that has to be kept in mind or your numbers will be backwards.

Teaching kids how to write their numbers here is more challenging because of this, too.  Oftentimes when I'm covering a class I'll have the students to write the numbers from 1-100.  Many times they are transposed - 61 becomes 16; 29 becomes 92.  So, when I see that happening, I realize they have it, but because they learned their Arabic numbers going from right to left, they forget they need to go from left to right for English.  They usually catch on much faster than I would.

The only reason I've been able to pick up and remember some of the numbers, is because in most public places, you have to take a number, and when it's your turn, your number flashes on a screen.  The numbers always flash, and are spoken, in Arabic first.

Anyway, I hope you find this interesting.  

I sure do.










No comments:

Post a Comment