Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2015

When Hard Work Wasn't Enough

A dear friend contacted me recently to ask about the last speech I gave at the 6th grade promotion ceremony at the last school where I was principal.  This school was 100% Title 1, which means all of the students' families were on welfare.
After four years of incredibly hard work and dedication trying to get the students to where they needed to be, I was being replaced.
It was a difficult time, for sure.  At that point my future was uncertain, and truth be told, I was angry and bitter.
It was traditional for the principal to speak at the 6th grade promotion ceremony, and I had done this many times before, but this time, I took the opportunity to share some things from the heart.
Below you'll find my notes from that speech.
~~~~~~~~~~
ü STUDENTS – Thank you – for working hard and doing your best; I've witnessed your growth & maturity
ü We love you, but you must move on
ü Don’t fall into the trap of not doing well in a class because you don’t like a teacher – remember your teachers are being paid to teach you not to like you; if they like you, it’s a bonus.
ü Please allow me to deviate from my usual script as this is my last time giving these remarks here
ü Let me share a story about a former student who left here Proficient & Advanced
ü His principal & I were at a meeting and she asked if I remembered him & if I’d go by and chat with him
ü She said his grades were A+ in Leadership and F’s in all five of his other subjects; know this - your teachers will let you FAIL
ü I told him I was going to go by his classes and check on him to make sure he was going to class and doing his work
ü In a matter of weeks, he brought three of his grades up from F’s to C’s – not great, but a step in the right direction
ü One day I went to see him and he wasn’t there, so I went to his home to see what was up; when I knocked on the door, his Mom was incensed.  She asked, “What are you, the truant officer now? You’re doing too much.”
ü She was right.  So I publically apologize for trying to help her child.  It was not my job to get him to school every day.  It was her job.  It was not my job to make sure he was in class doing his work.  It was her job.  It was not my job to meet with his teachers to make sure he was on the right track. It was her job.  So I apologize for trying to help her child get ready for high school and beyond. 
ü Let me tell you another story that happened very recently
ü I witnessed . . . let me repeat . . . I WITNESSED students playing on their way to school throwing a basketball from one side of the road to the next in traffic; others were throwing pine cones at cars and each other
ü I slowed down and yelled at them to stop
ü I turned onto 5th Street and looked in my rearview mirror and could see them chasing each other down the street
ü Shortly thereafter two of the boys entered the office with one crying where he had fallen and was bleeding and bruised
ü I shared how dangerous this was with the students at breakfast and at the Assembly that morning
ü At the end of the day I went to the homes of two of the parents and met the other in the court yard of the third parent and shared the incident with them, sharing how dangerous this was
ü The next day two of the parents were waiting for me in the office, accusing me of lying about what I saw
ü WHY WOULD I LIE?  WHAT PURPOSE WOULD LYING SERVE?
ü I simply stopped by the parents’ home to let them know their children were participating in CRAZY, OUTRAGEOUS, DANGEROUS BEHAVIOR!
ü So I apologize for trying to help these children as well.  The next time I see them playing in the street where the cars are swerving to avoid hitting them, I’ll keep going and let them play on, so that I’m not accused of lying on them again.
ü Someone asked me recently if I would miss being here
ü There are some things I won’t miss –
o  I won’t miss begging parents to send your kids to school and having to get the police to knock on your doors to do it
o  I won’t miss getting cussed out by parents who think their kids can do no wrong
o  I won’t miss students saying “My Momma told me to fight” and
o  I won’t miss students who disrespect staff
ü There are things I will miss -
o  I will miss being around some of the smartest students I’ve ever known
o  I will miss some of the kindest students I’ve ever known
o  I will miss some of the best staff I’ve ever worked with
o  I will miss the best support staff I’ve ever worked with
ü Remember this is a “Promotion, not a graduation”
ü I expect all of you to graduate from high school
ü I expect all to you to graduate from college as well
ü We visited Stanford, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, & CSUS because we want our students to feel comfortable on a college campus; we want them to start thinking about college
ü I wanted for your kids what was available to my kids – a great college education
ü My sons went to two of the best colleges and universities in the country, and that’s what I want for your kids
ü Everything I did here was to try and get your kids prepared for them to achieve that goal

ü But I realized recently that the dream of college for your kids has been my dream, but in order for it to happen, it has to be your dream as well

No comments:

Post a Comment