Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2016

The Reviews Are In . . .

For my brother's book, The Transformation of a Lost Soul, by Forrest J. Beverly.

All of us who had the pleasure of reading early drafts recognized this as a genuine, intimate, inspiring peek into the heart and mind of someone who has lived an extraordinary life and learned lessons along the way, some heartfelt, some harsh.  I'm thrilled that others see the incredible value in all this book has to offer.

Am I biased?

Of course.

But the attached reviewed are not.
Check out what they have to say, then click on the link, and make plans to read it for yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~

Reviews for THE TRANSFORMATION OF A LOST SOUL
by Forrest J. Beverly

1.     “The Transformation of a Lost Soul” by Forrest J. Beverly is an addicting, intoxicating read that holds no punches and goes straight for the heart. I read the whole thing in the course of a few nights, and wished there was more because I was disappointed when it was over… I wanted more! I like reading nonfiction on occasion to switch it up from my normal routine (in this case his autobiography), and because I feel that when done right it can affect you in a different way than a fiction novel can. Overall I found the writing quality to be superb, and I was truly impressed with the way Forrest J. Beverly managed to put so many events and emotions and experiences into a highly readable story. But even though some parts are a bit on the darker side, I really enjoyed the epic journey that he tells not only of his life, but how he delivers with a sense of deeper emotion and sense of raw humanity-the good and the bad- and faith in God. Highly recommend.  (5 stars) Claire Middleton—Goodreads; Barnes & Noble; Indie Book Reviewers

2.     “The Transformation of a Lost Soul: My Spiritual Journey” by Forrest J. Beverly is hands down one of the most riveting and well-crafted books I’ve read in a long time! I was completely drawn in from the opening pages, and absolutely loved the author’s use of description of the different phases of his life, from childhood through adulthood, as he gives great attention to personal and cultural detail of the time. We feel swept away not only into the narrator Forrest J. Beverly’s life, but his amazing life experiences…This is a nonfiction memoir but feels like a drama novel with lots of ups and downs along the way. They say truth is stranger than fiction, and some of this was downright heartbreaking and shocking, but also uplifting and amazing. From racism, to music, to working in the DEA…  “The Transformation of a Lost Soul” covers so, so much it’s impossible to sum up, but it felt like I was living through Mr. Beverly’s life, and it was interesting to see how it all tied together in the end, which was quite beautiful!! Loved the ending and especially that poem (one of my all-time favorites). A wonderful literary treat and I would recommend this to fans of memoirs/autobiographies. (5 stars) Jenna Brewster—Goodreads; Barnes & Noble; Indie Book Reviewers

3.     This was a really good book that captured my attention from the beginning, pulled me in, and never once let go. Each scene was engaging, imaginative, and flowed smoothly from one to the next… never a “dull part” where you get bored or want to skip ahead… in fact almost the opposite with the various interweaving plotlines and going from one character and event in Forrest Beverly’s life to the next. The descriptions were very strong, and I mean with the author’s word choice… unique and powerful, and with the deeply personal narrative style the author uses I felt like I was genuinely inside his head experiencing the world and his life through his eyes, for better or worse. Very touching and profound, this book will make you think, but sometimes it is quite uncomfortable to read, especially the author’s younger years. But it is also interesting and entertaining, and it is watching him overcome all this adversity and ups and downs and ultimately find his place in the world and Peace with God is what makes this book all that much more amazing. I would love to read more from Forrest J. Beverly in the future as he has a natural gift for creating a well-thought out story that touches your heart and soul. (4-5 stars) Gillian Hancock—Goodreads; Barnes & Noble; Indie Book Reviewers

4.     Okay--- I really loved this book. I thought it was excellently written and the editing was nearly flawless (rare for e-books these days!!). It kept my attention from the opening to the satisfying, inspirational ending. It is *not* a quick read by any stretch… nor should it be. There are too many important events and experiences here to gloss over so the author takes his time in carefully developing the various storylines so that we the readers are thoroughly invested the whole way through. I liked Mr. Beverly’s writing style very much, and found myself completely lost in this world he recanted night after night (this is all based on a ‘true story’ which makes it even cooler!!). Was almost sad when I was done, but the ending gave the emotional satisfaction I look for in a great book. Well done. Recommend to fans of dramatic nonfiction/memoirs, or anyone who just enjoys an entertaining, well-written story with lots of drama and emotional impact. Touches on some pretty heavy issues (abuse, racism, discrimination,) but never gets too depressing. Just very powerful. Recommend for mature teens on up. (5 stars) Laura Clarke—Goodreads; Barnes & Noble; Indie Book Reviewers

5.     Just a heads up—when starting “The Transformation of a Lost Soul” by Forrest J. Beverly make sure you don’t have anywhere you need to be or anything you need to do because you won’t want to stop reading until you’ve finished it all!! Trust me on this! (and it’s pretty long, ha!) The book starts off with an intriguing beginning setting up the stage of Forrest Beverly’s extraordinary life and just keeps going from there. We get to know him through his first-person narration, and get to know the other characters in his life as well. They are so well-developed and fully fleshed out you feel like you know him and them personally. I think what I liked the most about this book was just the overall feel the author managed to create where it felt intimate, like a close friend was telling me this really awesome, sad, inspiring story that I didn’t want to stop listening to. There are some surprising twists and some parts that really catch you off guard – some shocking and some sad… but that just made this true book even more heart wrenching and inspirational. Recommend. (4 stars) Steph Coleman—Goodreads; Barnes & Noble; Indie Book Reviewers


6.     This book, “The Transformation of a Lost Soul” by Forrest J. Beverly seems to have something of everything… seriously. Historical drama (pre-civil rights era), personal and family struggles, romance, music, work issues (DEA drama), humor, sadness, and a spiritual awakening that is both profound and inspiring…  I was impressed by the seamless narrative transitions, and while I’m not usually a fan of dense ‘telling’ narrative prose with little dialogue for stretches, it didn’t bother me here much as I enjoyed Mr. Beverly’s skillful word-play and the way he did a great job of always progressing the storyline in an engaging manner. Always found myself reading for longer than I planned to, as there was never a good place to just “stop”. This is good too. This book will have wide ranging appeal, and I can see fans of literary drama and nonfiction bio/memoirs gobbling it up. (5 stars) Tabitha Parks—Goodreads; Barnes & Noble; Indie Book Reviewers

~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.amazon.com/Transformation-Lost-Soul-Spiritual-Journey/dp/1478770759/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478275853&sr=8-1&keywords=the+transformation+of+a+lost+soul

No comments:

Post a Comment