Search This Blog

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Traveling Tips

There are a couple of things that have helped me tremendously in getting around. One I've mentioned before, and the other I just discovered.

If you travel internationally, or know someone who does, getting an e-card, (that's what it's called here), will speed up the process tremendously when you're going through having to get your passport checked.  It only works in your home country, but when 300 people deplane all headed to the passport counters, having this card allows you to scan it and proceed quickly.  Getting it required going to a special counter at the airport, presenting my passport, taking a picture, paying a fee (about $60), and voila!  I had my card right then and there, ready to use.

The other thing that has helped a lot is something called "Priority Pass" which is a service that allows you to stay in the business class lounges at airports around the world, without having to have purchased a business class or first class ticket. Here's how it works. You pay a flat annual fee of $100, and each time you visit a lounge, you present your card, and you're charged $27.  There is another, more expensive option, where you pay $250(?) and there is no fee at the door.  I tried using it Houston recently, but their lounge closed at 6:00pm.  I did use it for the first time on my last trip, when I had a five hour layover is Moscow.  It was wonderful being able to relax and rest comfortably.  There was even a place to shower if you wanted to. There were complimentary drinks (beer and wine) and snacks.  I have the Priority Pass app on my phone, and can check for lounges at airports all over the world.  It tells where they are located in the airports, what services they provide, and their operating hours.  The best part is, you don't have to be connected to the internet to access this information.

Years ago, when I first started teaching, I began as a long-term sub.  One of the teachers where I worked was a world traveler, and she trekked alone.  I used to marvel at the many places she had visited, and thought she was a superwoman for going it alone.  Now, I don't claim to be a superwoman, but she planted that adventurous seed in me.  I hope that I have, in turn, planted it in someone else.

I share what I've seen and learned, not to brag or to boast, but as an encouragement to others to take that leap, whatever it is.






No comments:

Post a Comment