Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Green is the Color of Love . . .

. . . or lust, or something.

It is astonishing the number of Western women who get married while they're over here.

I think there are a number of reasons for this phenomena.

First, there are just so many men.  Now the average age is just north of 12 years old, but these ladies don't mind robbing the cradle.  Second, the reality is very real of going to jail and then getting booted out of the country if you are found to be cavorting with the opposite sex.  Third, loneliness.  These ladies need a man in their lives.  And finally, the highly coveted green card that so many of these young men seek (which I think is the most prevalent reason, whether it is admitted or not).

The guys typically come from very poor countries, and will do anything to better themselves, including (especially) marrying a US Citizen so that they can enter the US legally and gain citizenship.

So, with all of the marriages . . . is it love, or is it the love of the green card?

Me, being the cynic that I am, think that most times it's the later.

Why do I care, you might ask?

Actually, I don't, but I pride myself on being astute and observant in these new surroundings, and these weddings/marriages are pretty amazing to witness.

I know someone who went so far as to convert to Islam in order to expedite the process.

For those guys brave enough to have tried to talk to me, I've quickly reminded them I have shoes older than them.  They come back with age is just a number, and I respond with green is just a color until we're talking green card and a ticket out of here.

Apparently, love is in the air.

Who am I to question it?




No comments:

Post a Comment