Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Amsterdam Sights

Those of you who know me well, know that I have a theory about white folks and cold weather.

It's this - when you look outside and see white folks in coats, that means black folks (OK, maybe just me) should grab three.

Today when I ventured outside, and saw folks bundled up tight, I ignored my theory, thinking it was a fluke.  It really was a mostly mild, overcast day, or so I thought.

The streets are narrow and the buildings tall, so I was shielded from the weather as I trekked to the bus stop, about a ten-minute walk from my hotel.

As I typically do on these solo journeys, I hopped on a tour bus to get an overview of the city.  We were near Anne Franke's House (the Jewish teen who chronicled her life in hiding during World War II in The Diary of Ann Frank), so I decided to get off and visit the museum.  The line was crazy long, and to my surprise, it was crazy cold, so I quickly scratched those plans and sought a cafe for a cup of joe to warm up.

Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe how cold it was, with a fierce biting wind!

So this, my friends, provides even more proof that my theory is, in fact, a valid one.

Below are some of the sights of this vibrant city.


This house with the red lights in the windows, literally means it a "red light district" place of business.
Prostitution is legal here.  There was a woman in a very tiny bikini standing in one of the windows.
She backed away when she saw me taking pictures.
One of the windows had the name "Esther," the name of the woman showcased there, I assume.


This city has embraced bicyclists like no other I've seen.
There are thousands of bikes everywhere.
There are bike shops and bike rentals on every block it seems.
The bike lanes run parallel to the sidewalks, separated from the automobile traffic.
Here everyone has their own lane.
It's a pretty awesome sight to see.

There are canals and bridges all around.
There are boat tours, but even with covered boats,
I'm thinking that would be too cold for me.

This flag is the official flag of Amsterdam, the capital city of the Netherlands.

This is a view of the many houseboats that line the canals.


Here's another view of houseboats.

Although this picture isn't great, I was tickled to see these toddlers
riding along in their covered motorized wagon.  

A street view


Life along the canals.

My plan is to get up early, bundle up, and beat the lines at the Ann Frank Museum tomorrow.

Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment