Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Our Time in Tulsa

Years ago, when Ben and Frankie were five and three respectively, we moved to Oklahoma so that Frank (ex-husband) could attend seminary in preparation for a career change from active duty military to an active church pastor.  This was after ten years or so of our being in the Navy.

The year was 1986.

I was never especially keen on this idea because that meant I would have the role of the "preacher's wife."  The problem was I was outspoken and cussed like a sailor.  Not handy attributes for the church's first lady.

That didn't stop us from going down this path though.  I'm sure Frank thought he'd be able to "pray away" my rough edges.

Long story short.

Frank finished school and just when we should have commenced the process of starting a church, he decided to pursue a job as a commercial pilot, in keeping with what he did in the military.

I was relieved.

No lie.

But this post is about our time in Tulsa.

Of course, one of the most important things we had to do while there was to find a church.  There was a lot of buzz about one in particular that fit our criteria.  It was Charismatic, with a preacher who taught the Word, and as a bonus, it was predominantly black.

The church was Higher Dimensions.

Now, this whole notion of a Charismatic Church was different for me.  I was raised Catholic and used to being in service for 45 minutes.  Max.  These two-hour services were a hard sell for me, but I'd be OK if they were entertaining.

Boy oh boy.

Higher Dimensions was definitely that.

The pastor, Carlton Pearson, was a rock star preacher.  He was in demand all over town, all over the country, and indeed, all over the world.  He was single at the time, and the church would be filled with beautiful women, dressed to the nines, all vying for his attention.  He's a good looking guy and watching these mating dances was too much fun.

And, he could sing.

He could sho' nuff bring the house down as he would break out in song and dance at any given time.

He could preach, too.

After our first visit, I was sold.

I loved this church and this preacher man.

Now, it's taken me a while to get to the point, but here it is.

Years after we left Tulsa, Carlton continued to rock the Chrisitan world, but he had an epiphany that changed his thinking, and ultimately his message, when he announced that there wasn't a hell and that all people, no matter who they were or what they believed, were heaven-bound.  That was considered heresy and he was denounced. This way of thinking was scandalous.

Well, I loved his message (or maybe it was his delivery) then (pre-epiphany), but I especially love it now.  This lands me square in the minority though.  Church folks have denounced him far and wide.

You can hear a well-done segment of This American Life, produced in 2005, that describes, in detail, Carlton Pearson's rise and fall from grace.

Judge for yourself.

http://tal.fm/304

Side note - There's a movie being made now of Carlton's life entitled "Come Sunday" starring Chiwetel Ejiofor.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1690967/

No comments:

Post a Comment