Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2017

History Lesson

An excerpt from Atlas Obscura -

Meet Ann Gregory, Who Shattered Racist and Sexist Barriers in the Golf World
An unheralded sports pioneer, she was known as “The Queen of Negro Women’s Golf.”
BY NATASHA FROST

IN 1959, ON A WARM August evening in Bethesda, Maryland, Ann Moore Gregory ate a hamburger and went to bed. That night, every other player in the United States Golf Association Women’s Amateur tournament, which began the next day, was eating a traditional players’ dinner at the Congressional Country Club. But Gregory, the only African-American player in the tournament, had been barred from the clubhouse. So, she said later, she ate by herself. She was “happy as a lark. I didn’t feel bad. I didn’t. I just wanted to play golf, they were letting me play golf,” she said. “So I got me a hamburger, and went to bed.”

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/ann-gregory-golf-african-american-civil-rights

No comments:

Post a Comment