Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Treason? God Help Us.

An excerpt from the NY Times -

Gulp. I’m Guilty of Treason.
By Frank Bruni

After more than five decades of reasonably virtuous living, I’m now told that I have betrayed my country and committed the ultimate crime.

I did not clap during President Trump’s State of the Union address.

Granted, my hands were otherwise engaged. They pounded my laptop’s keyboard as I frantically took notes: “clean coal,” “disastrous Obamacare.” And I’m limited in my appendages and much too clumsy to approximate applause with my feet.

But even if I could, I wouldn’t have. That’s not because I’m rooting against America. It’s because I’m rooting for it — and believe that we deserve better than a leader who uses language as sloppily and poisonously as Trump does, who reacts to every unwelcome message by smearing the messenger, and whose litmus test for patriotism is this and this alone: Do you worship me?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/opinion/trump-treason-guilty.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fopinion&action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=sectionfront



No comments:

Post a Comment