Search This Blog

Sunday, April 22, 2018

How We Cope

From the NY Times Race/Related -

We asked readers about whether they felt their race contributed to how others behaved around them in their daily lives. Here are some of their responses, lightly edited for clarity. 

I keep my Platinum American Express Card near my driver’s license so that law enforcement can see that I am a “citizen,” someone in the upper middle class, without overtly saying so. – Christopher Scott, 58, Chicago

When I go into stores, I try to avoid wearing large purses or a lot of layers.  I am educated (with a master’s degree) and have a career, but that does not matter because I cannot wear that as my skin color is worn. – Shawna Francis, 31, Columbia, Mo.

I have registered my car with the N.Y.P.D. with stickers all over the car saying that I am in an “anti-theft program.” What I am really doing is to “mark” myself as friendly to the police so that I can get respect. – Miriam Allen, 61, New York

I try not to talk to people and keep to myself, usually I listen to music or I talk to the people I went with. I try to stay away from other patrons unless they're black. – C.S., 39, New York

https://static.nytimes.com/email-content/RR_1293.html?nlid=38867499

No comments:

Post a Comment