Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2018

HBCU Love

An excerpt form the Huffington Post -

What If We Loved Real HBCUs As Much As We Love BeyoncĂ©’s?
By Taryn Finley

After one semester at my beloved HBCU, I recognized what I was missing when looking at my identity. Pre-Howard, I was conditioned to always juxtapose my blackness against the concept of whiteness, not fully understanding how powerful it is to appreciate my background outside the context of oppression. That limited me to a very narrow and monolithic view of what blackness can be.

Contrary to popular belief, HBCUs do prepare students for the real world, and they do a damn good job at it.

But black colleges show their students the beauty and expansiveness that blackness already is on its own. For me and others who shared this mindset, Howard, Spelman, Morehouse, NCAT, Hampton, Fisk and any of the more than 100 other HBCUs are pivotal. Not only do they center blackness in academia (even my math classes would turn into black history lessons at times), but they also provide spaces for their students to be fully embraced by faculty and their peers alike, fostering a sense of community and mentorship.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-finley-hbcu-beyonce_us_5ae0d38de4b04aa23f1eb5e3

No comments:

Post a Comment