Search This Blog

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Learning From Mom

An excerpt from the Washington Post -

Everything I learned about being a dad, I learned from my mom
By Nevin Martell

As soon as my son, Zephyr, arrived, I realized my autonomy had an unexpected downside: It felt like going up a certain creek without a paddle. I needed a lodestar to help guide me through the process. I had so many questions and so few answers. Sometimes, I even considered reading all the books still taking up space on my nightstand. But, nah. Too much work.

And then, my mother came to live with us for several weeks to help us transition into parenthood smoothly. Whenever Indira needed a break from holding Zephyr and I wasn’t there, my mom swooped in to take him before she was even asked. I’d be feeling tired, and my mother would magically ask whether I’d like a cup of the coffee she was thinking of brewing. Zephyr would be on the verge of getting fussy, and she would suddenly be rocking him while cooing and making cute faces. She seemed to anticipate everyone’s every needs, often offering help before we even knew to ask.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2020/05/08/everything-i-learned-about-being-dad-i-learned-my-mom/

No comments:

Post a Comment