Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2020

HBCU Love

An excerpt from The Undefeated -

My family is rooted in black colleges and now I am, too
I found my passion as a journalist at Hampton University
BY RANDALL C. WILLIAMS

My entire family is rooted in historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs).

When my family could attend college, my grandparents flocked to North Carolina Central University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and Fayetteville State University. My parents followed suit, attending Hampton University and N.C. A&T. That left the HBCU legacy up to me. And after attending predominantly white schools for all of K-12, I decided it was time for a breath of fresh air.

I followed my father’s footsteps to Hampton, and four years later, I can finally say that I understand the HBCU experience. It means connecting with young black folks from all around the world, blossoming, creating memories that will last a lifetime and building foundational steps for their desired profession.

https://theundefeated.com/features/my-family-is-rooted-in-black-colleges-and-now-i-am-too/

No comments:

Post a Comment