Search This Blog

Sunday, August 4, 2013

What If?

What if you accidentally found a letter your spouse wrote to you long ago, that is sealed, and labeled "to be read in the event of my death?"

But what if he was very much alive, do you tell him you've found it?

Assuming you do tell him, once he knows that you know about it, do you honor his request and not open it?

Or, does your curiosity get the best of you, and you read it?

This is the premise of the best book I've read . . . ever.

It's entitled, The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriaty.

As I've mentioned before, I love to read, but my least favorite part of any book is the beginning.  It's like you're walking into a room where someone is in the middle of telling a story, and you're trying to figure out who they are and how do they fit in the story being told.

Sometimes I'm tempted to write down all of the characters, to keep them straight in my head.

This book begins like this.  The first three or four chapters are about different people, in seemingly unrelated existence to each other.  So, you have to stick with it to see how they all fit together.

And just when you think you have it all figured out, there's a whole new layer added to the mix.

This book is very, very highly recommended.

Side note -

Today is my 57th birthday.  In the last six years, it has been tempered by the memories of my brother Terry's death.  You see his birthday was August 2nd, three days before mine.  He would have been 58.  So as much as I appreciate my mine, it is bittersweet.

Birthdays are usually times of reflection.  They are for me.  I think about all of the wonderful people in my life, and how, in spite of some tough times along the way, I'm richer because of these relationships.

I haven't gone out of my apartment in several days, and have no plans to leave today.  I really am hiding from the heat.  On Wednesday I'm headed to Sri Lanka for a few days, where it will be 20 degrees cooler.

As always, thank you for sharing this time and these experiences with me.  Knowing you're out there, connected through this blog, makes this time even more rewarding.

Good night to you.

Good morning to me.










1 comment: