Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Living Dangerously

As I was driving home today, a car pulled up quickly behind me, then raced to pass me, only to have to slow down, or in this case stop, for the roundabout traffic a half mile away.  I pulled up behind this guy, but decided to get in another lane, at the last minute.  Thank God I did.

I was sitting third behind a crane truck and a 15-seat van.  We were waiting a while to move, although the traffic was clear to go.  When we did finally move, I could see there was an accident.  The car racing pass me had flipped over.  Scores of people stopped to help, but I did not, knowing that I would only be in the way of the emergency response teams getting through.

My heart ached for this silly man.  What could have been going on in his life that was so important he felt the needed to drive like a bat out of hell?

There is a real issue with speeding here.  It is especially dangerous because of the huge, heavy vehicles on the roads, and as I've stated before, folks don't wear seat belts and kids are not secured in car seats.  So when there is an accident, and there are many, it is nothing short of miraculous when people survive.

Country-wide initiatives are ongoing in an effort to educate the masses on the dangers of reckless driving.  I can't see where they have been much help.

On a positive note, witnessing this crazy driving has caused me to be especially vigilant behind the wheel.

Here's hoping that your world is calm and safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment