Search This Blog

Friday, November 29, 2013

Holiday Weekend

There are celebrations all around.

Of course, this is Thanksgiving weekend with the traditional feasts and the crazy shopping in the US.

This is also the anniversary of this country.  The UAE is 42 years old on Dec. 2nd.

Plus, Dubai was just awarded the 2020 Expo, and a special decree declared a day off for all schools, so we had a bonus for all of us from the US, Thanksgiving Day off.  It's a long weekend of partying for many.

Things are quiet in my neck of the woods, which I'm thoroughly enjoying after the weeks of moving. In fact, I planned a trip for this weekend, but the folks I was using to book the trip seemed a little shady, so I canceled.  I'm so glad I did.  I'll have three weeks off for the winter break, so there's plenty of time to explore.

Now back to my recurring theme -

For those of you tired of reading about forgiveness, stop now.

The holidays are a time for family get-togethers that can be wonderful, but sometimes, oh so stressful.

As much as well love our relatives, many times, the quicker the visits the better.

Remember it's better to let "stuff" roll off your back, and move on, instead of adding the latest incident to your list of things you're holding on to.

I speak from way too much experience when I say I understand because I was a master at keeping grudges and setting people straight.

I was 55 before I got it.  Don't be like me and waste all that time thinking ill will about someone or seeing how long you can keep this nonsense up.

Let it go.

Even if it means they "win."

Really, the one winning is you because you've taken the steps to make it right by being the bigger person.

Let it go.

I know I harp on this a lot, but I understand the damage it can do to yourself . . . your mental health, your physical health and your relationship with others.

It's not worth.

Really it isn't.

So . . .

Let it go.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'll end this with a declaration of things I'm thankful for.

I'm thankful for health and peace of mind.

I'm thankful for my amazing family and my incredible friends.

I'm thankful for the lessons I've learned and the wisdom gained.

I'm thankful for the people that come across my path, knowing now that they were/are there for a reason.

And, as always . . .

I'm thankful for you, for taking this journey with me.

You see, this has been and continues to be, so much more than living abroad and visiting new places.  It's about growing up and recognizing that the world is so much bigger than we can imagine, but also realizing people are people, no matter where they're from or what they do.  It is recognizing the part you play in the lives of others. It's about growing and stretching, not only as you explore new things, people and territories, but it's about stretching your mind, and allowing yourself to see the world from a different perspective. It really is about growing up.

Thanks for growing with me.

Happy Thanksgiving!





No comments:

Post a Comment