Search This Blog

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Where Have You Been Faye?

It's been a while since I've posted, but if I wrote every time I thought about it, there would have been a truckload of posts.

I've been really busy at work, and because I'm enjoying what I'm doing, I've been continuing to work when I get home.  My current role has me teaching more.  I'm teaching the teachers.  Because we come from so many different places (the UK, Ireland, and the US - Atlanta, Chicago, Pennsylvania, San Diego, and Miami), each with it's own pedagogy, it's important that we're all working from the same playbook, and are on the same page, in the way we do things.

The other reason I've lallygagged in writing is that things move really slowly here, so there isn't that much to talk about.

I suppose I could mention I'm really sharpening my skills when it comes to speaking to native Arabic speakers and getting them to understand what I need or want. (There are fewer folks here who speak English).  Mostly it involves persistent questioning because nine times out of ten they have what I need, I just have to get them to understand what I what I'm asking for.  In doing this, I'm picking up some Arabic words.

I could also mention that the men who wear the long gown-like garments (the kandura), that is almost always white, are now wearing dark colors - browns, grays, even black.  These are made from heavier material for the cooler weather.

I could mention, that for the ladies, they are really layering doing these cool days. They are always fully dressed under their abayas (in the UAE these long robe-like dresses are always black, no matter the season), but they sometimes add leggings under everything else and add coats and sweaters on top of that.

I could also mention that I live in one of two apartment complexes that houses the teaching staff of the various schools in the area.  I am the only Western staff member living in these buildings.  Everyone else is from Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia, Iraq, and other Middle Eastern countries.  The other Western staff live about 60 miles away. They commute by bus (provided by the school system) three hours a day.  The town that they live in is called Ruwais, and it is bigger, with more people, a beautiful hotel, and has more creature comforts.  A new mall just opened there that is the talk of the town.  When given a choice though between commuting three hours a day or staying in this town, there was absolutely no contest.  I choose Al Selaa (or Al Sila, Al Sela'a, or Al Sila'a) and I'm glad I did.  Housing is scarce in all of the Western Region, so the teachers share housing (three to an apartment).  They would have to share whether they lived here or in Ruwais.  The hiccup with my getting here was that approval had to be made for me to live alone.  It would have not been kosher to live with someone that I evaluate.

So, that's it.  It's not much but . . .

It is what it is.

All in all, life is good.

Here's hoping all is well in your world.




No comments:

Post a Comment