Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

This and That

I clocked how long it takes me to get to work today.

One minute . . . exactly.

So why in the world would I bother to drive, you ask?

Because of all the stuff I haul back and forth.  And because sometimes I have to make a mad dash to the book store (as the teachers' stores are called here).  And because the weather is so unpredictable.  The day may start off calm, but later it is unbelievably blustery.  Or maybe it's because I'm just lazy.  No, that can't be it.

This town kind of reminds of the Naval Station we were based at in Lakehurst, New Jersey.  The town was small and had a down home feel, and the base was even smaller.  When we arrived Ben was five and Frankie three.  I used to put them in a wagon, and we'd run errands.  The bank was a block away, the commissary, two.  Frank's job was less than a block behind our housing.

Here, everything is within a six block radius.

I'm guessing because the town is so small and we're such a great distance from Abu Dhabi (three hours), they have all of the utilities and things you need, all in one building.  So you go here for internet and cable, for insurance, for car registration, etc., all conveniently in one spot.  This I love.  And it's not just here, but the two or three little towns around us have the same set up.

Side note -

A couple of things I forgot to mention about Vietnam.

First, the food was fabulous.  I was shocked because I've never been a fan of it when I had it back home.  I love Chinese food, but what I tasted in China was horrible.  I tried it at the hotel, when we were out and about, and finally at a highly recommended local joint.  Not good at any place on any level.

The other thing that was interesting was how the men and women who wore masks, and there were many, looked like they were wearing a burka.  You could only see their eyes.  I left the land of covered up folks, only to find it again in Vietnam.

Interesting.

To me anyway.

I hope all is well in your world.

Good morning to you.

Good night to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment