Search This Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hair

Hair is highly esteemed in this culture.  Although you can't see it because it's always covered up, women are expected to keep their hair long.

Typically babies heads are shaved as newborns, and unlike other cultures like India, I don't think it's done for religious reasons, but rather, to encourage growth.  By the time they're school-aged, the little girls' hair is down to their waists.  By the time they're in fourth grade, they are required to cover it up.

A couple of months ago, I got a really short hair cut.  I wore it this short many years ago when I first started working.  The impetus for this change was the heat in Vietnam.  That heat, coupled with the humidity, was unbearable.  I also knew that experience was foreshadowing the heat to come here, although we don't have the humidity, thank God.  However, once you get past 100 degrees, hot is hot.

Well, folks thought I had lost my mind.  They could not believe I chopped off all of my hair willfully.  It really is seen as a woman's crowning glory, so to cut it like this is blasphemous.

Now, the saving grace is that I'm American.  I sometimes think we're seen as the wayward child.  You know the kid you look at and shake your head at his/her antics, but love him/her just the same.  As long as what we're doing is not seen as disrespectful of the culture, we're OK.

An example of disrespect would be to wear something that did not cover you up from top to bottom.  Chances are, you'd be asked to change.

Anyway, back to my hair.

One of the first things I did when I got divorced was cut it.  Frank always wanted it long, and being the dutiful wife that I was, I wore it that way.  Cutting it was liberating. Never again would I allow someone else to dictate how I look, what I wear, or anything else in my life.

My mantra is . . . if you like me, wonderful.  If you don't, that's OK, too.  Life is too short, so move on to someone that you do like.

Me . . . I'm OK with myself.  I like me, and quite frankly, that's all that matters.

Here's to living the life you want to live.

Take it from me, it's a blast.









No comments:

Post a Comment