Search This Blog

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Balance

Balance.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

The importance of having balance in our lives.  In our relationships.  Both personal and professional.

The example that readily comes to mind is balance in marriage.

I see it like the scales of justice.

There is the man and the woman on either side, each contributing to the alliance. Some days the scales are tipped way off in one direction or the other, but overall, they are balanced, with each making a meaningful contribution overall.

This is not deep philosophical stuff I'm referring to.

This is easy.

Simple.

Yet, critical to maintaining the balance in a relationship.

For example . . .

You cook.

I clean.

You wash.

I dry.

You take care of the kid(s).

I clean the house.

And of course, vice versa, in each of these examples.

Here's what I know for sure.

It's not the big things that causes relationships to fail.

It's the little things.

The stuff that causes it to be off balance.

Like when one is giving way more than the other, and that becomes the new normal.

And when things are off balance, then what?

Does talking about it get things back on track?

If so, that's great.

But what happens when the mold is set, and discussing it doesn't bring the necessary changes, but excuses, excuses, and more excuses.

Then what?

Does the guy/gal who's carrying the heavy load (sometimes the ridiculously heavy load) stick around, listening to the excuses, knowing things are not likely to change, or do they cut their losses and bolt?

I know what I would do.

How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment