Search This Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Being the Only One

Most black folks are used to being in situations where we're the "only one."  The only black face in a sea of white ones.  It can be uncomfortable, but mostly, you learn to adjust and recognize that it is a part of the world in which we live.

Interestingly, I met a white woman here who is experiencing the same thing.  She's been in situations where she's the only one, and she was sharing how awkward and uncomfortable she feels.  I told her, "Welcome to my world."  Although to be fair, now that I'm in the Middle East, most folks look more like me.

Anyway, I ran across this article that discusses a little black girl who is the "only one," and how her folks helped her to navigate these waters.

http://www.essence.com/2014/10/16/when-your-child-only-black-girl-class

No comments:

Post a Comment