Search This Blog

Monday, November 16, 2015

"Reading" People

The unspeakable tragedy in the massacre of hundreds of folks in Paris is senseless and heartbreaking.

It has been condemned widely here.

I was reminded of a recent conversation where I was asked if I ever read the Holy Quran.  I answered that I had not, but instead I "read" people.

I "read" the way people treat each other.  Muslims and Christians alike.

Sometimes, that's all we have to go by . . . for better or for worse.

That is what's happening in the world today.

We're judging an entire population by the barbaric actions of a violent few.

The folks here declare, "This is not Islam.  This is not what the Holy Quran teaches."

That may be true, but unfortunately the only thing the world sees ("reads"), are the headlines of the murderous actions of the radical Muslims.

As I've said many times before, my experiences here in the Middle East have been extraordinarily positive.  I've met some of the kindest, warmest, most generous people in my four years here.  As a result, when I see the headlines, I'm able to put it in perspective, in juxtaposition if you will, to my personal experiences.

I recognize this as a unique experience, one that I am forever grateful for.






No comments:

Post a Comment