Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

YES to Early Bedtimes

I have always been a proponent of early bedtimes for kids.

When Ben and Frankie complained about going to bed at 8:00 (in California), I reminded them that on the East Coast, it was 11:00, so they should be grateful for the chance to stay up so late.

They didn't fall for this rationale long, but it worked great for a while.

~~~~~~~~~~
An excerpt from Slate -

In Defense of Absurdly Early Bedtimes

I make my kids go to sleep by 7:30 p.m., without exception. They’re happier and might even be smarter and healthier because of it.

By 

Summer is right around the corner, which means I’ll soon undergo my annual metamorphosis into the monster of a parent who drags her kids away from barbecues and outdoor concerts an hour before other parents do. Yup, I make my almost 2-year-old and 5-year-old go to bed at 7 and 7:30 p.m., respectively. I know—you think I’m rigid, no fun, that I’m denying my kids a joyful childhood because they rarely get to frolic outside at dusk. I get a lot of crap for it. “Can’t you just … ?” My friends ask. No. I’m sorry, no, I can’t.

That’s because my kids are happier and more fun to be around when I stick with a consistent and early bedtime. And ever since I’ve started looking at the science, I’ve become only more convinced that the earlier you say night-night, the better. Research consistently shows that putting kids to bed early is beneficial for their physical, emotional, and cognitive development. Not only do kids tend to sleep more when the lights go out sooner, but they also may get a greater proportion of restorative sleep, too. Early kid bedtimes are also great for parental sanity. Sipping a glass of wine in silence? Snuggling up with your spouse to watch a grown-up movie for once? It’s really quite lovely.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/the_kids/2016/05/put_your_kids_to_bed_early_to_make_them_smarter_happier_and_fitter.html


No comments:

Post a Comment