Search This Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Happy Father's Day

If you've been with me for a while, you know that I had three older brothers.  My youngest brother Terry died suddenly ten years ago.

But it is my middle brother, Forrest, that comes to mind every day, but especially on this day that we honor and celebrate fathers.

Forrest is ten years older than me and more than anyone, he has been the father figure in my life.

Our father was there, in the house, working every day and providing for the family, but he was absent in every other way.  I know now that he was doing the best he could.  The best he knew how.

So it was Forrest who stepped up and filled that void.  

He started working at a tender age making sure we had food to eat, as Daddy took care of his liquor bill before the grocery bill.

He made sure Mom was OK from the onslaught of abuse, mostly verbal.

He convinced Mom to let me go away to college to his alma mater, which was one of the most important decisions of my life, setting me on course for my lifelong journey.

He paid for my college tuition when the scholarships ran out.

He taught me about relationships, and although my father was around, it was he who walked me down the aisle when I got married.

He is the one who helped me to recognize my worth when my marriage came to an end.

He is the one that I called when I needed help raising Ben and Frankie, especially so after my divorce.

He is the one I still call almost every day, no only to share what's happening, but to get the unvarnished truth.

Everyone needs a Forrest in their life.

I am forever grateful he's in mine.

Happy Father's Day Forrest.






No comments:

Post a Comment