Search This Blog

Friday, April 6, 2018

HBCU vs PWI

An excerpt from VerySmartBrothas -

Black-ish  Explores the Decision Between Attending an HBCU or a PWI That So Many of Us Had to Make
By Panama Jackson

Now, back then, despite wanting to go to Michigan, I didn’t realize that by deciding to go to Morehouse, I was making the best and probably most significant decision of my life. But since graduating, I absolutely feel that way.

While I suppose I don’t really know what I missed, I can’t imagine that my college experience could have been any better than it was at an HBCU, Morehouse in particular. While life lessons and lasting friendships are probably common to most college experiences, the celebration of and validation of blackness is something I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have gotten at Michigan—a fine school, no doubt, but totally different.

I walked out of Morehouse more confident in who I was than I ever had been, with an unshakable pride and belief in myself and the awesomeness that comes along with blackness. I’m glad I chose Morehouse over any “better” school, even the ones that are ranked higher and deemed better by black and nonblack people alike.

https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/black-ish-explores-the-decision-between-attending-an-hb-1824991042?utm_source=theroot_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-04-05

No comments:

Post a Comment