Search This Blog

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Covid vs. Police Violence

An excerpt from GQ - 

I've Spent Months Fighting Coronavirus in the ER. Police Violence Is What Really Scares Me
For a Black doctor, simply getting to the hospital feels like the most dangerous part.  
BY DR. DARIEN SUTTON-RAMSEY

I’m an emergency medicine physician in New York City—one of the only Black physicians in the entire emergency department at my hospital. While many New Yorkers followed shelter-in-place orders, I’ve been called to work to help heal the people afflicted by the coronavirus pandemic. I drive to work, and lately, compared to typical New York City traffic, the roads are empty. You might think this was a relief for me, but it was the opposite. I may have a shorter commute, but I’m a Black man behind the wheel when law enforcement and the government have ordered us to stay home. Stay-at-home rules have been enforced much more harshly against Black people, and I am aware that I am very much a moving target.

https://www.gq.com/story/making-myself-essential

No comments:

Post a Comment