Search This Blog

Saturday, October 3, 2020

A Family Photo at the Door

 An excerpt from the Washington Post - 

I keep a family photo at my front door. It’ll stay there until toxic attitudes toward Black lives go away.

Opinion by Michele L. Norris

I keep a framed family photo next to my front door, positioned on a table, so you see it as soon as you enter. It captures a moment of joy while on vacation. We’re leaning on each other, smiling wide. Family Strong.

I keep that picture by the entry in case police ever enter my home, they know that the people in that photo belong in the house where they live.

That paragraph you just read is a litmus test. Some of you will read these words and wonder, “Why would she ever do that?”

But some of you will read this and nod your head in recognition. Or perhaps conclude, “Maybe I should do that, too.”

Those of us in that second category are not worried about police entering our home because we’re engaged in criminal behavior. We worry — actually, we know, that we could be seen as criminals or intruders in our own homes even if we consistently and even obsessively live by the rules. A steady stream of raids-gone-wrong buttresses those fears and yet it goes far beyond all that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-keep-a-family-photo-at-my-front-door-itll-stay-there-until-toxic-attitudes-toward-black-lives-go-away/2020/09/28/0e9027fe-01bb-11eb-a2db-417cddf4816a_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment