Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2021

From Reffing to Fighting For His Life

An excerpt from the Undefeated - 

A year ago, Tony Brown was reffing his first NBA Finals. Now, he’s fighting for his life.

The veteran referee opens up about the pancreatic cancer diagnosis that changed his course

BY TONY BROWN, AS TOLD TO JERRY BEMBRY

Tony Brown worked Game 4 of the 2020 NBA Finals
between the Heat and Lakers.
JESSE D. GARRABRANT/NBAE VIA GETTY IMAGES

As I watch the Milwaukee Bucks and Phoenix Suns play for an NBA championship, I can’t help but revisit this stage of the season a year ago.

It was Los Angeles Lakers vs. Miami Heat. LeBron James against Jimmy Butler. The NBA bubble.

It was also, in Game 4, the moment I reached the pinnacle of my professional career. After 19 years as an NBA referee, after over 1,000 regular-season and 35 playoff games, I stepped on the court to work my first Finals.

Most eyes at tipoff were, I’m sure, focused on the star players who are the driving force in this league. I’m sure back home in Atlanta the eyes of my wife and my three kids were focused on me as I finally got the opportunity to work the NBA’s premier event.

It was career validation: I was considered one of the best referees in the world. 

When this season began, my goal was to experience that exhilarating moment again.

But life threw me a curveball.

Pancreatic cancer. Stage 4.

Honestly, I don’t know what’s in store for me.  

But with the love of my wife, my kids, my NBA family and my friends in the trenches alongside me, I’m well armed for this battle for my life.

https://theundefeated.com/features/a-year-ago-tony-brown-was-reffing-his-first-nba-finals-now-hes-fighting-for-his-life/



No comments:

Post a Comment