Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

FAMU Business Students Are Collaborators With Hair Care Line

An excerpt from the Tallahassee Democrat - 

Wakati Black hair product line gives nod to FAMU students for their collaboration

By Byron Dobson

Florida A & M University business students helped design
the marketing and business concept for Wakati Hair Products
which are sold at Target, Walgreens, and Walmart.com
Tori Schneider Tallahassee Democrat


Felyicia Jerald often shops at Target for its assortment of hard-to-find hair products for African American consumers. But on a recent visit, she noticed a new product line — Wakati.

"I looked to the right and saw the purple bottle on the shelf, and it seems as if it had orange and green tones to it a well. I said, ‘I want to check it out really quick,' " said Jerald, a 1988 journalism graduate of Florida A&M University, whose school colors are orange and green.

“I started reading the ingredients, the benefits of the product and it wasn’t until I flipped it over did I see the FAMU logo on it. That got my interest.” 

Jerald ended up purchasing a moisturizer, a moisturizing spray and shampoo.

“I’m impressed with the look of the product and when I saw FAMU on the back that was another draw to help me to decide to buy it and try it out,” said Jerald, manager of communications for Mercedes-Benz U.S. International.

She posted the find on Facebook, where she discovered “quite a few” family members and FAMU friends were aware of the product and the school shout-out on the packaging.

Her post reads: “Was so excited to see this product on the shelves at Target! I think the orange and green and cute packaging drew me in, then when I flipped it over and saw that #FAMU business students helped design the marketing and biz concept, that sold me. Great job students!”


No comments:

Post a Comment