Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Gumbo

Today I made a gumbo that turned out great.  That's no easy feat for me.  Even with the roux mix, which simplifies the process considerably, I still have managed to mess it up.

But not today.

Today, this one is perfect.

It has lots of green onions, dried shrimp, which really enhances the flavor, and lots of skinless, boneless chicken.

For those of you who might be unfamiliar with gumbo, it's a cross between soup and stew.  It has the consistency of a broth, with the variety of ingredients like a stew. The roux is the key to a successful gumbo.  It is typically made by browning flour and oil together until it turns a deep brown.  This process requires constant stirring, because it can and does burn very quickly if unattended.  Then you fill the pot up with water.  I added green onions, dried shrimp (usually found in Asian markets), and chicken.  You can also add fresh shrimp, sausages, okra, and anything else that suits your fancy.  You bring all of this to a boil, then let it simmer for a couple of hours or until the meat is "falling apart" tender.

Voila!

That's it!

Grab a bowl of rice, and pour the gumbo over it.

Yummy!

It's especially nice when it's cold outside, but in Southeast Texas (where I'm from) and Southern Louisiana, it's served all year long, even in the hot, humid summers.

I looked online for a recipe to share, but most of them included things I don't use, like white or yellow onions (I use green onions or scallions), garlic (Never!  I can't stand the smell of it), celery, and tomatoes (nope and nope).

But this is what makes this dish unique.  It's easy to make it yours by adding or deleting ingredients.

Experiment.  Have fun with it.

But do try it.  It's worth the effort.

Bon appétit!

1 comment:

  1. Wait, you cooked! Hi Faye, I haven't been on this in a while. I can't believe you have been over ther for more than a year now. What a great experience. Hope to see you when you return.
    Annie Cheney

    ReplyDelete