Search This Blog

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Big Government

In the United Sates, there is always lots of talk by those on the Right, especially the Far Right, about how big our government is, and how we should strive to keep it out of our lives.

I disagree.

Here's why:

I want the government to have regulations and safety systems in place when buildings are erected.  A lack of government oversight is why the buildings in so many places around the world are death traps. Bangladesh garment factories come to mind.

I want the government to inspect the building of our homes, so we can go to sleep at night confident that the workmanship is solid and safe, from the foundation to the roof, and everything in between.

I want the government to oversee the processing and packaging of food items, so that I'm reasonably certain I'm getting what the label says I'm getting.  In many places, you buy food with your fingers crossed.

I want the government to oversee the disposal of garbage and waste, to ensure that it's properly disposed of, and to be sure that it's taken care of on a regular basis.  In Egypt and in India, it looked like mounds of garbage had been piling up on the side of the road for years.

I want the government to oversee public safety.  I want to walk around without having to watch every step for fear of falling in a pothole left uncovered, or an uneven payment that is not marked.

I want the government to ensure that all public spaces are accessible to the disabled. They should feel welcomed wherever they go, with easy access.  Of the places I've been, the US leads the pack in accessibility.

I want the government to build and take responsibility for roads and highways, so that the infrastructure is solid and reliable.

I want the government to monitor work conditions, so that safety procedures are in place and adhered to, to monitor and reduce the number of workers hurt on the job. OSHA comes to mind.

I want the government to stand ready to help in times of need.  The many natural disasters, and the government's response to them to help the people recover, comes to mind.  Remember FEMA?

This list could go on and on, but you get the idea.

One of the greatest aha moments I've had living abroad, is recognizing how much we're protected by the government in America, and how those protections greatly impact the quality of our lives.

So for all those who would prefer not to have big government in their lives, I suggest they take a moment and consider the alternative.

Then . . .

They should be thankful for what they do have.


No comments:

Post a Comment