Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

C'est Excellent!

Wow!

What a city!

I'm staying in a quaint hotel, less than a mile from the Notre Dame.  By US standards, it's tiny, but it has everything I need.

My plan was to get a panoramic view of the city via the Big Bus Tour.  So, with clear directions from the hotel folks, and Google Maps on my phone, I was ready to find the bus stop I needed.

Side note -

It's cold.

Not bone chilling sub zero cold, but cold nonetheless.

Side note 2 -

I was here about twenty years ago when the boys and I accompanied Frank on one of his layovers in the city.  It was a real quick visit.

After waiting a while for the bus, I discovered I was waiting at a "retired" bus stop.  A friendly merchant pointed me in the right direction, and after a few minutes more, I was on the bus, seeing the city.

Notre Dame

This entryway at the back of the Notre Dame is so incredibly ornate.

A close-up of the entryway.




 Across the street from the Notre Dame is an automatic public toilet.  You press a button and the door rolls open, you step in, and it closes.  It's fairly big, but very spartan, just a toilet and sink.  After you complete your business, you push a button, the door opens.  Once you get out, the door closes and it self-cleans before the next person enters.  There was no cost to use it and it really was pretty cool.





Once on the bus, I opted to sit on top in the open air, to get better pictures.  Well, the pictures I took were a real disappointment.  I was cold, fiddling with my gloves, and fighting to keep a cute cap on my head.  Why is it "cute" is rarely practical?

Anyway, the best of the lot is below.


The Seine River that runs through the city.





Avenue Des Champs Elysees -
 Shoppers' Paradise, with retail shopping along both sides of the boulevard.
The Arc De Triomphe is in the distance.

Arc De Triomphe - Can be reached via tunnels to get a close up view.
You can also go to the top.  The view of the city must be spectacular from there.



Eiffel Tower

The Eiffel Tower up close

More soon.

Au revoir.



No comments:

Post a Comment