Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

Makeup & Stilettos

When you see women with makeup on, it's usually layer upon layer of it.  Like they're made up for the stage, or like Forrest says, that "embalmed" look.

Side note - I can't remember if I've written about the use of makeup here, and of course, I'm too lazy to go back and check.  So, if this is a repeat, please forgive me.

I'm still surprised when I see a woman all dolled up.  Especially since, on the one hand, they go to great lengths to cover up so they won't be seen, but then many wear makeup that makes you take a second look and go  . . . hmmmm.

Every mall has at least a half dozen stores that sell makeup exclusively, and they do brisk business.

Shoes, namely stilettos, are popular with the locals, too.

I was reminded of this when I noticed someone at work with heavy makeup and shoes with six-inch heels.  Of course, I was then curious to know what she had on under her abaya.  Designer clothes, too?

I think most women dress up to be seen or noticed by guys, but since dating in the true sense doesn't happen here, what's the point?  Are they dressing to be noticed by other women, maybe?

The malls are also filled with stores selling formal wear.  Some of it pretty risqué. These are worn to weddings, where only women are in attendance, until late in the evening when the groom shows up.

They start this practice young.  When we have special programs, our girls as young as first grade, wear formal floor-length dresses with full makeup.  Reminds me of "Toddlers & Tiaras."

So, when it comes to makeup and shoes, our worlds are not that different.




No comments:

Post a Comment