Search This Blog

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Ambassadors

When Ben and Frankie were little guys, I used to remind them that no matter where they were, or what they were doing, someone was watching them.  As such, they needed to be mindful to be on their best behavior.

I used to also say, "You are ambassadors.  You represent me.  You represent your school.  You represent your city (mostly stated when they played away games). You represent black folks.  Like it or not, you are the 'stand in' for young black males everywhere.  A heavy burden?  Maybe.  Not so much though, if you're doing the right thing anyway."

So given that broad definition that we can apply to anyone, we're all ambassadors, aren't we?

That's especially true here, where we have people from all over the world.

We represent our countries, our states, our schools, our families, and our religions, etc.

The reason I chose to visit Egypt first, was because of the wonderful guys I met who were Egyptian.  I wanted more of what they had to offer.  And thankfully, the trip didn't disappoint.  I met fabulous folks on this journey.

They were my Egyptian ambassadors.

Likewise, I've all but replaced another country on my list because of they way the folks act that I've come in contact with.  I can't imagine dealing with a whole country of people like this.

Is it fair to judge on this scale?

No, of course not.

But we do it everyday.

I've been reminded a lot recently, of the times when I was married, and Frank would stop strangers on the street, telling them about God.  I was never comfortable with this "witnessing."

I'd much rather let my actions speak for me.  If I'm doing the right thing, living in peace, helping others, then I felt (and still feel) that my actions speak louder than anything I could say to convince someone to follow me.

Likewise, I view other religions through their followers.  Are these folks I want to emulate?  Are they treating people they way I want to be treated?  Do I want to "buy" what they're selling?

Ambassadors.

All of us.

How are we representing our world?

Until next time.

Cheers.










No comments:

Post a Comment