Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

From Russia, With Love

I arrived in Moscow late last night.  It was a five-hour flight, with no change in time zones.  A real treat.

When I got to the gate at the Dubai airport, there were only two passengers, including me.  By the time we boarded the plane, there were almost 500.  With the flight crew, we were at 500.  A very full flight.

Side note - Many of the passengers had two or more bags from airport shopping, in addition to their carryon.  No problem.  No questions asked.  When I flew to Kenya, there were gate agents with a scale and a gizmo to measure the size of the bags. There was a very strict carryon policy that was definitely enforced.  Now, the upside of all this, is that Kenyan flight was the most efficient I've ever been on.  We were on and off that plane in no time, and our bags were waiting for us in baggage claim.

Not so here.

It took forever to get our bags, but once in hand, I headed toward the exit, where someone asked if I needed a cab.  After we figured out where I was going, I was told it would take about an hour to get there.

Although it was dark, the landscape remind me of the Coney Island, in New York. There were lots of high rise apartment buildings, and not much else.  Austere.

Thankfully, the trip took less than an hour, and I settled into my hotel room and quickly went to sleep.

At 10:00 this morning, I was off, headed into the city to begin my Big Bus Tour.  I love these because they give you a panoramic view of the city.  I'm not sure if this service is new to this city or what, but not many people knew anything about it or where the hop on and off stops were located.

In the mean time, I asked to be dropped off at Red Square where I knew there was a bus stop somewhere near.  It was here that I feasted on the majesty of the area. The buildings are regal and "happy."  There is no other word to describe St. Basil's Cathedral.  Pictures just don't do it justice.  It is truly spectacular!












When I left Al Ain yesterday, it was 99 degrees.  It was 37 here today.  A bitter, damp, cold 37 degrees.  Gumbo weather, for sure.

Below are trees made of locks.  Super, super cool.  They lined a canal running through the city.





As always, thanks for taking this journey with me.

From Russia, with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment