Search This Blog

Thursday, April 4, 2013

From Russia, With Love - Part 2

On my way out of the hotel today to resume my Moscow excursion, I picked up a map that offered free guided tours.  I registered using my phone, asked the taxi driver to take me to the starting point, and off I went on a walking tour of the Red Square area.

Remember, it's cold as a booger bear here, but walking was a terrific way to see everything up close.  The guide was a great guy, personable, warm and very informative.


The tour began in this public square, which is about two blocks from Red Square.


This church is across the street from our starting point.  It is a beautiful, bright pinkish, rose color.  We learned the history, then we went inside.  Ladies had to cover our heads, guys had to take off everything on their heads.  The rooms inside were small and sectioned off.  But most impressive was the gold that was everywhere.  Framing pictures, built into the walls, etc.  Interestingly, the church had no pews.  You are expected to stand during the service, with benches against the wall for those not able to stand for health reasons.

Like the UAE with a mosque on every corner, Moscow seems to have a church on every block.



Here's another one.



This building above is being renovated.  Look above the blue line, and below the grey area, and you'll see a tarp that is painted on the outside to look like the building.  I saw this a lot and thought it was a clever way to hide the work being done.



This is Lenin’s Mausoleum.  They could learn a thing or two about burying the dead from the Egyptians.  The pyramids are definitely cooler than this dome.


This picture and the third one down, I found online.  I couldn't capture the scope of it with my camera.  This building is across the way from the dome, and looks like a very serious office building.  It is not.  It is a fabulous mall, filled with every high-end store imaginable.  It's called the GUM.  Check it out below.




One of the last things we did was visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and watched the changing of the guards.  It was amazing.  I have videos, but I'm having trouble uploading them.

As the tour ended, I asked our guide for the best place to get a taxi, and he suggested I take the subway.  I did and loved it.  When I was going to purchase the ticket, a wonderful woman asked if she could help and she and her grandchild not only walked me through the process, but insisted I stay with them.  They exited one stop ahead of me.  They were a Godsend.  This subway has to be one of the cleanest, and most efficient in the world.  I'm so glad I rode it.  I felt like a local.  It cost 30 rubles to travel the same distance that cost 1500 rubles by taxi.  

As we were chatting, the guide also mentioned that he had just come back San Francisco, where he was a part of a conference at Stanford on improving relations between the US and Russia.

Small world.

I'm headed home tomorrow, for a day, and then to Ethiopia.

More soon.





























































No comments:

Post a Comment