Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Relatives . . . in Ethiopia?



I landed in Addis Ababa mid-day yesterday, but I was too tired to do any exploring.

At the airport, and here at the hotel, folks thought I was Ethiopian.  In fact, the African-Americans back in the US, look like they were transported directly from here.  The resemblance to people back home is remarkable.

Quite a difference from my Moscow experience.

The folks I've come in contact with have been friendly and kind.  They really seem to appreciate visitors to their country.

I arranged to have a guide last night, and this morning I was off to see the sights. The first stop was a beautiful church.

Bole Medhane Alem Orthodox Church
The ceiling of the church


People praying in the church

An interesting thing was seeing people outside the church, as well as in church, earnestly praying.  Religion seems to be a central part of the lives of the people. This is a majority Christian country, with about one third Muslim.  There are even Ethiopian Jews.  I noticed a grade school that was called "Jerusalem School," and thus the explanation about the Jews.  It was also noted that many have moved to Israel.

The next stop was the National Museum of Ethiopia.  It seemed old and run down, but to be fair, I think it was under renovation, as large portion of it were cut off from viewing.  I was there to see "Lucy."  She's believed to have lived 3.2 million years ago.

Lucy's bones


Lucy's bones 2

A plaque outside her room.


We then passed by Addis Ababa University.

Addis Ababa University

Headed up Mt. Entoto.

Going up Mt. Entoto to visit another church



Entoto Maryam Church on the mountain

Close-up of decorative window?

Next stop, Lion Zoo.  Not the best.  Sounds like one of them is protesting.

                                    
I am lion. Hear me roar!


We then went by the American Embassy.  The campus is huge and well-guarded.  I tried to get pictures, but no dice.  I didn't want to risk being detained because of photographs.

Last stop was to a nice hotel, where we had a traditional meal.  

Hotel restaurant.  The big pink coved basket is where the food is served.

Serving basket

Three different meats, spinach and potatoes on a sponge-like bread.
You break off a piece of this bread, and scoop up the other stuff.

And that was my day in the land of my people.

As always, thanks for taking this journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment