Search This Blog

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Calendars

One day last year, I was covering a class of second graders, and I asked several of them when there birthday was.  To my surprise, they didn't know.  I mentioned this to someone else, and was told it's because they follow the Islamic calendar, and the dates are fluid, not constant, like ours.

So, for instance, Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic year.  Last year it began July 19th and ran through Aug 19th.  This year, Ramadan will begin July 8th and run thru August 7th.

This was further brought home when I was sitting in an office, waiting to be served, and noticed a calendar with two sets of dates.  I inquired about it, and was told it represented both the Islamic calendar and the Western calendar.  For example, April 1st for us, was March 20th on the Islamic calendar.  April 11th for us was April 1st on the Islamic one.

Very, very interesting.

I googled it and found an easy to understand explanation of the differences in the calendars and how, or why, they came to be.

It's found on WiseGeek.com.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-difference-between-the-western-islamic-and-jewish-calendars.htm

I prove everyday just how much I don't know.

Here's wishing you a wonderful Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment