Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Made My Day

Have you had friend contact you out of the blue, and that simple gesture kept a smile on your face all day long?

That happened to me today when I was surprised by a video call from my dear friend Becky.

We met when I started teaching years ago.  She was my coach.  She was a young, master teacher who was awesome in the classroom, but even better at helping new teachers figure out what they were doing.

One of the many things I love about Becky was how she handled me and my non-compliance.  There were things we were expected to have posted in our classes, and that changed every few weeks.  I've got this thing about presentations being neat and symmetrical, so it would take me a minute to get the bulletin boards changed. When Becky would make her regular visits, she never fussed or made a big deal about what was missing, she'd just take me over to another classroom where whatever I was supposed to have done, was on full display.

And . . .

She never said a word.

I'd go back to my class and get it done.

And . . .

It worked every time.

I used to say that she shamed me into doing the right thing.

She quickly figured out what it would take to motivate me, and it was one of the many lessons I learned from her.

Thanks Becky, for all of your help way back when, and thanks for absolutely making my day today!








No comments:

Post a Comment