Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Use To It

Long ago, I got used to being the only one.

Growing up, I was the only girl with three brothers.

Once we integrated schools, I was the only black in many of my classes.

That's why going to a predominately black college was so refreshing.  I was surrounded by people who looked like me, all moving in the same direction.

That all-black experience was an aberration though.  An outlier in a life of mostly being in settings where I was the only one.

My point is, as black folks in America, many of us are used to this state of being.

It is what it is.

We're use to being the different one.

We're use to the isolation.

So, we learn to deal with it.

Some assimilate.

Some imitate.

Some isolate.

All of us cope, some better than others.

This article is about a young black woman in the tech industry and how she fared being "the only one."

https://medium.com/theli-st-medium/the-other-side-of-diversity-1bb3de2f053e

No comments:

Post a Comment