Search This Blog

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Greetings from Vienna!

In my quest to visit someplace that looks and feels Christmas, I landed in Vienna, Austria for a few days.

It's a beautiful city that reminds me of Prague in its architecture and feel.

Vienna is known as the City of Music because some of the most extraordinary classical musicians - Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, and Schubert - lived and worked here, and (according to Wikipedia) it's also known as the City of Dreams because it's the birthplace of Sigmund Freud, the world's first psychoanalyst.

I ventured out midmorning, headed to one of the Big Bus Tours bus stops.  Armed with directions from someone in the hotel and my trusty Google Maps on my phone, I was off.

One of the first things I noticed was the temperature.  It was 27 degrees.

The nearest bus stop was about a mile from my hotel.  It was a beautiful, brisk, sunny day so the walk was really pleasant.  I stopped a couple of times to ask directions, making sure I was on the right track, and each time, I was graciously helped.

St. Francis of Assisi Church
This was the landmark across the street from the bus stop.

Another view of the church

My pictures just don't do this church justice.
It truly is magnificent as this online photo illustrates.


Once on the bus, I sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the ride.

When we arrived in the heart of the city, there were crowds of people, but not nearly as many as I expected.  I got off the bus and mingled.  I also got something warm to drink.

Like in Prague, there was hot wine, but I settled for something described as hot punch.  I had mine sans the rum.  It was delicious and warmed me right up.

The language spoken is German.  It's not pretty.  Definitely not easy on the ears.

Interestingly, it's easier navigating in the Middle East than it is here because the signage there is bilingual (Arabic - English), here its only in German, so this makes getting around tougher.

I know.  I know.

I'm just as guilty as the next American - expecting the world to speak English.

I know.  I know.

When in Rome, do like the Romans and learn another language or two!

City streets


City streets 2
Hofburg Palace - Open Christmas Market



Another view of statute at Hofburg Palace

Another view of the market

Market 2

Danube River
What you can't see very well
is the amazing street art that lines the riverbank.

Side note - Apologies to those of you who receive these posts when I click publish. Oftentimes, like today, I hit the button by mistake and have tons of correction, additions and/or deletions, to do in the editing process.  Anyway, please omit the previous one.

Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment