Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Life After Divorce

Under the best of circumstances, divorce is difficult.  When kids are in the mix, it's even harder.

And yet, I will go to my grave forever thankful for my divorce and my life in the aftermath of it.

For me, divorce was empowering.  For the first time in my life, I wasn't identified as part of someone else.  I was no longer someone's wife.

I was me.

Just me.

And after the initial six months or so of "What in the world am I going to do?" I listened to my brothers, dusted myself off, and began life as a single mom.

Was it scary?

Absolutely!

Was it liberating?

Without a doubt.

Like nothing I'd experienced before.

I didn't discover who I was until I was alone making all of the decisions for my guys and I.

It was during this time of self-discovery that I decided I liked me.

Be damn what anyone else thought.

The fact that I liked myself, worts and all, was monumental.

And now, almost sixteen years later, there is no doubt, getting a divorce was the best decision I ever made.

My life has blossomed into something I could only have dreamed of before.

Was it hard sometimes?

Yes.

Was it worth it?

DEFINITELY!

~~~~~~~~~~

Below is a link to an article by a child of divorce who realized later in life that her parents divorce was a catalyst for great things in her life, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeaiza-m-quinones/my-parents-divorce-change_b_6679668.html




No comments:

Post a Comment