Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Happiness

It took me nearly 20 years to realize that I wasn't responsible for someone else's happiness.

You see, I tried to make my ex-husband happy.

I tried.

And tried.

And tried again, but nothing worked.

He was never satisfied, no matter what I did.

At about the 10 year mark, I began to realize that the issue was bigger than me, but I still gave it my all.

At 15 years into this thing, I said, "Fuck it," (please pardon my French), but continued to stay in the marriage for the financial stability it brought and to provide the best for my boys.

But it was only after I was divorced and completely free of the burden of trying to please him, that I realized what a futile journey that had been all along.

You see, you can't make someone else happy.

Happiness comes from within.

I've learned in my later years that it's a choice.

I can choose whether to be happy or not.

When challenges come, and they come to all of us, I can choose to wallow in self-pity, or I can dust myself off and move on.

I've chosen the latter.

I choose to see the glass half full.

And I've learned that for me to grow and become all that I am meant to be, I have to hang with like-minded folks.

The naysayers . . .

The constantly complaining folks . . .

The "world is out to get me" folks . . .

The "why me?" folks . . .

They were dead weight in my world, and harsh as it may have been, they had to go.

So, my challenge to you is - take a real close look at the people in your world, and one by one, start cutting the ties of the dead weight.  Although it may be tough, I promise you, it'll be one of the best decisions of your life.



No comments:

Post a Comment