Search This Blog

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Trying to Right a Wrong

This article is about the lead prosecutor in a death penalty case, where the accused was found guilty and spent decades on death row.

New evidence lead to the defendant's release from prison in 2014.

The prosecutor is taking a stand in this man's defense now, trying to make sure he is compensated for time served.  Of course, this begs the question of how do you determine what a life is worth?

Two quotes that stand out:

Glenn Ford deserves every penny owed to him under the compensation statute. This case is another example of the arbitrariness of the death penalty. I now realize, all too painfully, that as a young 33-year-old prosecutor, I was not capable of making a decision that could have led to the killing of another human being.”  A.M. STROUD

How totally wrong was I.
I speak only for me and no one else.
I apologize to Glenn Ford for all the misery I have caused him and his family.
I apologize to the family of Mr. Rozeman for giving them the false hope of some closure.
I apologize to the members of the jury for not having all of the story that should have been disclosed to them.

I apologize to the court in not having been more diligent in my duty to ensure that proper disclosures of any exculpatory evidence had been provided to the defense.


http://www.shreveporttimes.com/longform/opinion/readers/2015/03/20/lead-prosecutor-offers-apology-in-the-case-of-exonerated-death-row-inmate-glenn-ford/25049063/


No comments:

Post a Comment