Search This Blog

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Degrees of Chaos

When I first arrived in the UAE, I thought things were chaotic:

Folks bum rushing counters;

People rarely waiting in lines to be served;

And . . .

The most frustrating of all - no addresses.

However, since I've traveled to many points far and wide, I've discovered there are degrees of chaos.

I've been to places with few paved streets, where addresses would be a luxury.

So, each time I return home (to the UAE) from my travels, I'm always grateful to be coming back to an orderly, efficiently run country.

What used to bother me, doesn't phase me anymore.

It's all relative.

I've thought about this a lot since my last trip to Nepal, where the infrastructure, on it's best days, was sorely lacking.

It saddens me beyond measure to see the reports of the death and destruction from the earthquake yesterday, but seeing the precarious way many of the buildings were standing, it comes as no surprise many of them crumbled.

My heart aches for the Nepalese people.

But . . .

I'm also eternally grateful for the systems we have in place in America (that many people complain about - checks and balances making sure that buildings are built to code, for example) that helps to keep us safe.  Believe me when I say I have a much greater appreciation for this than I ever had when I was in the US and took all of this for granted.

So, let's all say a prayer for those hurting, and a prayer of thanksgiving for all of the things we have to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment