Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2015

White Out!

When I sleep, I'm out like a rock.

But . . .

At about 3:30 this morning, I was awaken by another violent sand storm.  The winds were ramming the side of the building with a massive force.  When I got up about a half hour later, there was a fog of sand swirling around in my apartment.

Everything was hazy.

Layers and layers of sand covered every surface.

Of course, all of the windows and doors were closed tight, but the sand would not be denied.

It seeped through all of the cracks and crevices.

I have heavy drapes covering the windows, but the sand came through those landing far and wide.

When I left for school (our last day before Spring Break), it was completely white outside.



Ok.  So it isn't white, but it's the closest description
I can think of to help you understand what I mean.
This is behind the parking lot of my building.


It was looked like a heavy, dense fog, but it was heavy sheaths of sand swirling through the air.

Thick enough to chew.

It goes without saying that the driving conditions were dangerous, and I was driving from next door.  The folks who travel an hour to an hour-and-a-half each way to get to school were told to stay put.  Visibility was reduced to a few feet, making the roads hazardous and the driving conditions precarious at best.

This area is so remote, there are no weather satellites nearby, so we can't get accurate weather forecasts or updates.  The closest weather report is for the town about an hour away, but the weather varies greatly from here to there.  We're on the water, and it's more inland.  That makes a huge difference here.

So, it looks like the storms are coming out of nowhere.

There's no warning.  One minute the wind is blowing normally, and the next it's moving with hurricane force.

I've said this before, but it's true.  I've not seen anything like this in all of my time in the UAE.

I know.

I know.

You're feeling sorry for me, right?

Don't.

In spite of this crazy, wacky weather, I love my little town.


No comments:

Post a Comment