Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Greetings From Nepal

Before I forget . . .

Happy Easter!

Now . . .

I arrived in Kathmandu, Nepal late Saturday afternoon under cloudy skies.  By the time I purchased a visa and got out of the airport, the weather had changed from overcast to strong winds and rain.

Back to the airport for a minute -

Getting to the landing field was colorful.  The city of Kathmandu is surrounded by the Himalayan Mountain Range.  So it looked like the pilot was descending into the mountain side, and just when you thought it was too close for comfort, the city, and the runway, came into sight.

Most people visit this area for trekking and mountain climbing.  Mount Everest is reached from here by plane.

Interestingly, you can't see Mount Everest from the city.

First impressions -

Nepal looks very much like India.  The people, the landscape, and the roads.

The driving is wild, like India.  There are no traffic lights or stop signs.  The people govern themselves.  The roads are shared by pedestrians (they're no sidewalks), cars, motorbikes, rickshaws, and critters.  Cows roam freely.

I was expecting fresh mountain air, but instead it was thick with fumes and dust.  I'm guessing it's because the air is trapped in the valley.

The consolation for the air pollution is the friendliness of the people.

I took tons of pictures, but I'm experiencing difficulty uploading them.  I'll wait til I'm home to post them.

More soon.

Here's wishing you a wonderful Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment