Search This Blog

Monday, May 11, 2015

Great Article!

I just a great article on The New Republic entitled, "In Defense of Uppity-ism" by Jamil Smith.

Money quote -

“Uppity,” translated from thinly-veiled racial code, is meant to describe a black person who doesn’t know her or his place. It is as paternalistic as it is racist, meant to convey that a black person is somehow lower, in need of guidance back to the subjugated existence that makes the dominant caste more comfortable. Heaven forbid one even consider her or himself an equal. Or superior!

One more - 

 “Eventually,” she told the graduates, “I realized that if I wanted to keep my sanity and not let others define me, there was only one thing I could do and that was to have faith in God’s plan for me. I had to ignore all of the noise and be true to myself—and the rest would work itself out. So throughout this journey, I have learned to block everything out and focus on my truth.” The First Lady closed by urging the graduates to “rise above the noise,” a fitting metaphor for the Tuskegee crowd.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121768/defense-uppity-ism-after-michelle-obamas-commencement-speech

No comments:

Post a Comment