Search This Blog

Saturday, March 25, 2017

When We Fail Kids

As an educator, I'm a mandated reporter of suspected abuse.  In my personal dealings with CPS workers, I was alarmed and frustrated at the indifference on display the few times I made contact.

One incident that stands out is when a 6th-grade student came to me to share what was happening in her home that she shared with her father.  It was alarming.  She asked that I call CPS to request that she be moved.  She understood what she was asking as she had been in and out of foster care most of her life.  I made the request and the CPS worker I spoke with flipped it off as "typical kid stuff" and dismissed it as she felt the complaint was without merit.  I was livid.  I told her that if anything happened to this child, it was on her.  Further intervention on the school's part lead to the student moving out to live with relatives.

I'm sure there are wonderful, hard working CPS workers who care about the children they are responsible for monitoring, but this does not describe the ones I dealt with, at all.

~~~~~~~~~~

From the LA Times -

4 L.A. County social workers to face trial in horrific death of 8-year-old boy
Melissa Etehad and Richard Winton

Los Angeles County judge ruled Monday that four social workers should stand trial on child abuse and other charges in the death of an 8-year-old Palmdale boy they were assigned to protect, allowing prosecutors to push ahead with a case that has sent a chill through the ranks of child protection workers nationwide.

Superior Court Judge Mary Lou Villar said that “red flags were everywhere” during the months before Gabriel Fernandez died and that the social workers mishandled evidence of escalating abuse and failed to file timely reports on what was happening in the boy’s home before he was allegedly killed by his mother and her boyfriend in 2013. The judge said the workers’ conduct amounted to criminal negligence.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-social-worker-charges-20170320-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment