Search This Blog

Friday, March 31, 2017

When the Ducks Had Just One

From the Undefeated -

Oregon basketball team’s first out-of-state black player paved the way with his struggles and success
The Ducks’ majority-black roster didn’t always look that way — but my father is part of the reason it does
BY KURT STREETER

It’s a team picture I’ll always cherish, even though I’d never seen it until 11 years ago, shortly after my father died.

It shows him as a young man, in the early 1950s. He was in college then, at the University of Oregon, where he was a fixture on the basketball team. In the photograph he’s No. 11, sitting in the front row, a familiar gleam in his eye. His teammates were all white. My father, Mel Streeter, was the only African-American player on the Ducks.

As much as I love this photograph, it also presents a mystery. My dad didn’t talk all that much about his playing days, or what it was like to be a dark-skinned, 6-foot-4 black guy in a virtually all-white town and a virtually all-white state in the years of Truman and Eisenhower. I can’t stop wondering what those days were really like for him.

https://theundefeated.com/features/oregon-ducks-basketball-ncaa/

No comments:

Post a Comment